Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Weighed But Found Wanting

It's fun watching films especially when you learn a lot about the moral lesson of the story. From judging your neighbor (Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang) to believing in miracles (Himala), these two classics that i've seen have taught me in a way I can apply to little but important things in life. Let me tell you what I think on Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.

"Maraming klaseng tao ang pinagtatawanan
ang kanyang kapwa dahil may diperensya.
Dahil sa mayroong hindi tama sa itsura.
At karamihan sa mga tumatawag iyon
ang hindi marunong tumingin sa loob, sa puso.
Ang puso'y hindi nakikita ng mata para makita mo ito,
Gamitin mo ang iyong puso."

-- Mario O' Hara as Berto in Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang

Judging others from the way they look is what i've noticed and that has become a trend. We often make fun of others because they are different from us or simply because they lack the superficial. In this movie, a village idiot, leper, a womanizer, apostolic hypocrites and a man entwined between goodness and peer pressure will show the audience a reflection of the nation's ugliness.

This movie truly stands out because of its story that will remain in the minds and hearts of the audience. Not to mention its achievement for winning 6 Famas awards including Best Picture. I, myself have been swept away and realized that even up to now, we are to blame for the world's injustice. Okay that might sound too big but as an example, instead of just blaming others with the crisis around us and give in to filthy pride, maybe we should do something instead to help out.

I am guilty for judging others and mind on what should be 'their business'. For instance, a helpless child asks for money. Instead of lecturing why they beg for money, maybe I should shed out a few of what I have. I always think that giving will just help the poor become more lazy. But what if they really can't get a job? Yep, i've realized its time to change.

It may still occur to me as if they're fooling me.. but I got to try right? We as a community should try.

Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang is a must-see for everyone. A star-stellar performance by Ms. Lolita Rodriguez (Best Actress), A first time Christopher De Leon (Best Actor) and a drama (Best Picture) that involves serious social issues made by the Lino Brocka (Best Director) for the society.

That's all.. Til Next! :)

No comments: