Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Cinema Beginnings

I look up to the stars and imagine the world they are in. Fans supporting them, critics who bring them either to stardom or kingdom come and of course, the industry who pays them both fame and fortune. I even wonder how they manage to portray their roles without filling the character with their own trademark. Being a star is a tough job. And to be honest, they serve as our inspiration. They portray the nation's reflection of its own personality. Just like the movies. 

When I was young, I thought of the movies as a simple means of entertainment. My grandfather would pick me up at school and bring me to the cinemas for a feel-good quality time with each other. It was then at the age of 5 when I started admiring 'Da King' Fernando Poe Jr.'s moves and 'the King of Comedy' Dolphy's sense of humor. Thus, it became a daily routine to escape the harshness of reality until there came to a point where my week isn't complete without seeing any movie. This is where my love for cinema began.

I never thought that movies would play a bigger role in my life. I was raised by my mom's job as a scriptwriter to the industry. I was influenced by my grandfather who think of movies as a daily habit. It served as my creative juice for ideas to be applied in college. And most of all, as I celebrate my last year in college (hopefully), it is my chosen topic for my thesis in partial fulfillment to the University of Santo Tomas. Thank you Sir Velez the support you've given me and to the team. :) 

So what is the purpose of this blog? It will serve as my online journal for every facts I discover, goodies for my event and a reference for future researchers. Through this study, we will soon realize what Philippine cinema is all about, how the Golden Age has contributed to the industry, why we must take care of our movies and how we can market this by creating an event to help save the movie industry.

I'll be posting the beginnings of cinema and its arrival in the Philippines on my next entry.

Til next time ;)

Justine, 

P.S. Here's a pic of Papa (my grandfather) while waiting for the next showing:


isn't he adorable? :p

3 comments:

jesylourish said...

you're such a movie addict! your thesis represents your interest. swak na swak! thesis of the year na yan! :D

the only juz said...

ngak! hahaha depende rin yan sa jury.. malay mo kung ako addict siya drug dealer na. :p Thanks! we can do this! :)

anon said...

good kid, keep loving our cinema :)